When it comes to problem solving and any other issues revolving around new technologies or new developments around the world, we almost always turn or attention to scientists for answers.
Usually the most logical among us these researchers make their decisions based on existing data and hard evidence. So, what do scientists think about some important issues that circulate out there as compared to the rest of us who only make up our minds, mostly on other people’s opinions.
1. Global Warming
Scientists all over the world overwhelmingly agree that our planet is warming up due to the activities of people living on it today. The general US public on the other hand is divided at the middle on this one, mostly because they leave themselves be influenced by other people who profit from this overproduction of goods.
2. More Offshore Drilling
While 52% percent of US citizens believe that more offshore drilling platforms for oil and gas are a good idea for the country and the world, just 32% of the American Association of the Advancement of Science Members share that idea.
3. Genetically Modified Foods
A staggering 88% of researchers wholeheartedly believe that it’s totally safe to eat genetically modified foods. After all, everything we have eaten so far is GM. Corn in the wild for example is nowhere near to being as productive as the ones we are used to. Neither are cows, nor pigs, nor anything else. It’s true that they warn’t modified in the lab, but rather by farmers, mostly through selective breeding. Only 37% of the population is on board with this decision.
Pesticides are used on plants to kill insects and other pests. While 68% of scientists believe that it’s safe to eat plants and cereals sprayed with pesticides, as compared to only 28% of US adults who believe the same, the real issue is not if that they are safe to eat but rather what happens with those pesticides when they reach the soil and groundwater.
5. The Space Station
When it comes to space and more especially to the Space Station, pretty much everyone is on board and believe that it was a good investment. The only difference between the people and scientists being of only 4 percent.
Scientists are aware that astronauts are more or less a thing of the past and not such an important element when it comes to space travel and exploration. This can be seen by looking at the image above. Space probes and rovers are seen by the scientific community as a much more relevant point in investing funds, rather than flesh and blood astronauts. We should keep in mind however why we’re going up there in the first place.
Both scientists and the general population agree that fracking for natural gas is generally a bad idea. There are still a lot of unknown side effects like water contamination and possible earthquakes.
8. More Nuclear Power Plants
Scientists are 2 to 1 in favor of building more nuclear power plants as a source of green energy, bridging the gap between fossil fuels and totally renewable energy sources of the future. The general public on the other hand is not so convinced, being mostly frightened by previous accidents and natural disaster like Chernobyl and Fukushima.
Scientists are also more invested in biofuels as a replacement for standard gasoline. Nevertheless, both groups strongly support the efforts to make this happen. A new technology of green fuels can also be the way to go.
10. Animal Testing
This may come as a shock to many but it really isn’t. The vast majority of scientists back animal testing as an extremely effective way to discover new products and technologies which otherwise would take an extremely long time to accomplish or wouldn’t be achievable altogether. Less than half of the population thinks the same way however.
11. The Growing population Will Be A Huge Problem
Not many average people in the US see the ever growing world population as a huge problem which is already taking it toll on the planet. This is mostly because the US has so far been shielded from these effects due to its large supra production of goods. This off course will also add “fuel to the fire” to the things to come. Scientists on the other hand are more realistic.
Lastly comes the issue of Evolution. While almost all of the scientists believe that life on Earth has evolved over the eons, only about 65% of the population believes the same thing. This is because the remaining 35% believe in Creationism. Nevertheless what both sides fail to understand here is that these two ideas don’t ask the same question. While Evolution asks “How”, Creationism is more inclined to ask “Why”. When put into practice these two questions often times overlap and it seems that that these two questions come into conflict with each other.
Thanks to the guys at The Daily Conversation that we were able to share this with you.