Potter Joel Cherrico is the man who creates Cosmic Mugs. Instead of opting for a store-bought and bland coffee mug, just like everyone has, you can taste the universe in every sip, just by drinking out of one of these mugs. The mugs themselves, as well as everything around us is made out of star dust and Joel Cherrico want to bring this forth.
Now he’s looking to bring “the cosmos in a cup” to as many people as possible by expanding his business through Kickstarter. By expanding we don’t mean mechanization since he’ll still be doing each mug by hand and in an unique way. He’ll be looking for a new studio, one that doesn’t leak from the ceiling and has enough natural light.
Here are some points to each mug:
- Durable: Stoneware pottery is very hard and meant to last a lifetime.
- Functional: 100% non-toxic, dishwasher and microwave safe.
- Handcrafted: I make each pot from a lump of Stoneware clay on a pottery wheel. I create consistent shapes that hold a medium cup of coffee, about 15-17 ounces.
- Complex: Every mug is brushed with up to six different glaze colors.
- Earthen: Raw iron, copper and cobalt are harvested from the earth & fired in a kiln to 2400 degrees F to seal colors with silica glaze for non-toxic, food-safe surfaces.
- One of a Kind: Each firing results in glazes that I can never duplicate exactly.
While each mug is made by following a different heavenly body, it can be safe to say that Joel Cherrico has his work cut out for him since, you know, the universe is pretty big.