100-year-old life hacks we still use today
These 24 100-year-old life hacks we still use today are a piece of history, a piece of art. It’s hard to imagine that something that was used 100 years ago is still in use today, but if the method works, why change it?
The early 1900’s were a time of perpetual change, where people from all over the world started migrating around the globe and brought with them methods, habits and traditions from their native lands.
This led to amazing discoveries and, of course, to some incredibly ingenious lifehacks, some of them still being used to this day! These 24 100-year-old life hacks came with very detailed instructions on how to help the everyday man get around in the ever changing society of the early 20th century.
The UK-based Gallaher Cigarettes company had the game-changing idea to introduce some useful information on those cards and thus the ‘How to do it’ series was born. Stiffening cards all over started publishing a series of 100 life hacks, explaining how to do a large variety of day-to-day things.
The stiffening cards came with pictures and instructions on how to solve different problems, and even after 100 years since those instructions were written, they can still be used today.
24 100-year-old life hacks we still use today
1. How to pull long nails
2. How to kill a tree stump
3. How to make a simple gate latch
4. How to make corks fit
5. How to make a fire extinguisher
6. How to make a water fountain for chicks
7. How to adjust a door
8. How to cool wine without ice
9. How to clean an oil painting
10. How to extract a splinter
11. How to treat squeaky boots
12. How to remove a tight ring from the finger
13. How to clean bottles
14. How to measure with coins
15. How to draw a circle without compasses
16. How to keep a paint brush handle clean
17. How to pick up broken glass
18. How to separate glass tumblers
19. How to light a match in the wind
20. How to tell the points of the compass with a watch
21. How to revive cut flowers
22. How to judge the freshness of a lobster
23. Three useful knots
24. How to stop a runaway horse