Take a Tour of the World-Famous Hole n’ the Rock
Take a tour of the world-famous Hole n’ the Rock tourist attraction, located in Utah’s Canuonlands. Hole n’ the Rock is just one of those hidden gems roadside America has to offer. Carved out of 50,000 cubic feet of excavated sandstone, this ‘hole’ inside a ‘rock’ is a 5,000 square foot home with 14 rooms!
Albert Christensen spent 12 years of his life carving inside sandstone in order to build his dream home where he could move in with Gladys, his wife. The couple moved inside their new ‘house’ in 1952 and shortly after, they opened a diner in the front room.
After Albert’s death in 1957, Gladys continued to operate their small business for another 17 years. Erik and Wyndee Hansen bought this entire hidden gem (not so hidden if you consider the sign!) from Gladys’ son in 2000 and restored everything to its original form, like it was back in 1957.
Here’s what Hole n’ the Rock has to offer, according to their official website:
Visit Hole N” The Rock, a most unique home, carved out of a huge rock in Utah’s Canyonlands Country. This historic 5,000 square foot home and unusual gift shop and trading post are open all year. Take a guided tour of the home, and appreciate the rich history within it’s walls.
- 12 minute guided tours of the world-famous Hole N” the Rock House
- Exotic zoo features zebras, bison, 2-hump camel and many more
- The largest collection of Lyle Nichols metal/art sculptures
- Antique tools, vintage neon signs, mining equipment and unusual time era pieces
- Hole N” the Rock Store: One of a kind souvenirs, t-shirts and memorabilia
- The Trading Post: locally made Native American pottery, jewelry, dream catchers and unique gifts for everyone
- The General Store: ice cream, drinks, and memorabilia of all types
- Large statuary & metal art for sale
- Birthday parties…..come out and feed the animals
- Find Big Foot and Mater Penny Stretcher Machines with 6 designs
** Newly Opened Zoo! Please stop by and spend a while with our exotic animals! **